“It was seamless bringing him onto our team – he maintained constant communication with the seller and did an excellent job of navigating the waters.”
–Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
Mike is a Shareholder of WCL&W’s Prince William office and is one of Northern Virginia’s most recognizable land use attorneys. Mike is an expert in zoning, land use, commercial real estate, and business law, and has been at the forefront of numerous controversial and successful rezonings in Prince William and Stafford Counties. He is known not only for being involved in a substantial number of successful rezonings, but also for the size and significance of those rezonings, which include several large, mixed-use projects. In addition to practicing law, Mike has taught real estate and business law for the Virginia Farm and Land Institute and Northern Virginia Community College.
- Robert Trent Jones International/Lake Manassas/Robert Trent Jones Golf Club: 700 residential units, corporate housing, 400,000 square feet commercial office, Stonewall Golf Course.
- Belmont Center: 1,873 residential units, 600,000 square feet office/retail, Town Center, marina, golf course, hotel.
- Virginia Oaks: 323 residential units, golf course.
- Prince William Town Center: 675 residential units, 250,000 square feet retail/office.
- Reid’s Prospect: 530 residential units (multi-family, townhomes, and detached), live/work units, 450,000 square feet office/retail.
- Virginia Gateway/Atlas Walk/Wentworth Green: one million square feet office/retail/hotel, 475 residential units.
- Braemar/Saybrooke: 3,650 residential units, approximately 200,000 square feet retail/office.
- Caton’s Ridge: 220 multi-family units, 350,000 square feet office, ancillary retail.
- Harbor Station: 4,000 residential units, two million square feet office/retail, Town Center, Virginia Railroad Express station, marina, Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course.
- Heritage Hunt: age-restricted community, 1,800 residential units, Arthur Hills Golf Course.
- Heritage Hunt Commercial: 1.1 million square feet office/retail, 400 residential units.
- Dominion Valley Country Club: gated, Arnold Palmer golf course community, 3,270 residential units, 250,000 square feet office/retail.
- Piedmont: 1,200 residential units, Tom Fazio Golf Course.
- Midwood: two million square feet business park.
- Market Center/Villages @ Heathcote: one million square feet office/medical/retail, 500 multi-family units.
- Madison Crescent: 450,000 square feet office/retail, live/work units, 240 residential units.
- University of Virginia Foundation: 150 residential units.
- Rivergate: 720 high-rise residential units.
- Beaver Creek/River Falls: 245 residential units, golf course.
- Smoketown Station: two million square feet commercial.
- PW Commons: mixed use, 700 residential units, age-restricted units, 400,000 square feet commercial/office.
- Four Seasons in Historic Virginia: age-restricted community, 1,500 residential units.
- Named to Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers in America, 2017, for Land Use and Zoning Law, Litigation – Land Use and Zoning, Litigation – Real Estate, Real Estate Law
Named to Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year and Best Lawyers in America, 2016, for Land Use and Zoning Law, Litigation – Land Use and Zoning, Litigation – Real Estate, and Real Estate Law
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Chambers & Partners, Chambers USA, Northern Virginia Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use
- Washington DC “Top Lawyer,” Washingtonian magazine
- Voted among the “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business magazine
- Prince William Board of Realtors, Inc., Hall of Fame
Publications and Presentations
- Participation in Continuing Legal Education programs on zoning, land use, and commercial real estate
- Annual presentations to various civic groups on current status of development in Prince William County
- Potomac Health Foundation Board, Secretary
- Sentara/Health, Member, Board of Trustees
- Robert Trent Jones Golf Club, Vice President
- Sentara/Potomac Hospital Medical Executive Committee, Member
- Burke & Herbert Bank, Member, Board of Directors
- Potomac Hospital, former member and Vice Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Potomac Hospital Foundation Board, former Secretary
- Cardinal Bank, former member, Board of Directors
- George Mason Bank, former member, Advisory Board
- Prince William Nationals, former Member, Board of Directors
- Prince William County Higher Education Committee, former Member
- Prince William County Chamber of Commerce, former Member, Board of Directors
Practice AreasLand Use and Zoning
College of William & Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, J.D., 1972College of William & Mary, B.A., 1969
American Bar Association
Prince William County Bar Association
Prince William County Chamber of Commerce, Board of DirectorsPrince William County Affordable Housing Committee
Admitted to Practice in:
VirginiaU.S. Supreme Court