Having joined WCL&W in November 1998, Cathy is the firm’s resident expert in land use and zoning matters in the City of Alexandria and has extensive experience in Arlington and Fairfax Counties as well.
With an in-depth knowledge of the law, process, politics and people required to achieve her clients’ goals, Cathy has successfully represented a number of clients in obtaining the necessary entitlements for a variety of projects including major residential, commercial, and mixed-use developments. Of particular note, Cathy has the distinction of having represented clients in the approval process for the majority of the Arlington County Columbia Pike Form Based Code Projects that have been developed to date. In addition, Cathy represents major landowners with development approvals in both the Beauregard and Potomac Yard/Potomac Greens areas within the City of Alexandria.
Cathy has served as zoning counsel representing clients in a variety of zoning approvals including the following matters:
- Approval of The Village Center, 950 S. George Mason Drive, Arlington, with a 6-story, 365-unit mixed-use residential building featuring a 50,000 square foot grocery store, 31,120 sf of in-line retail, and a new public square.
- Approval of The Gilliam, 3507 Columbia Pike, Arlington, with a 6-story, 173-unit mixed-use building featuring Earthcraft Platinum construction and ground floor retail and civic uses.
- Approval of 672 Flats, 672 N. Glebe Road, Arlington, with a 6-story, 173-unit mixed-use building featuring LEED Silver construction and ground floor retail.
- Approval of Columbia Hills, 1010 S. Frederick Street, Arlington, with a 8-story, 229-unit, 100% committed affordable infill development featuring Earthcraft Platinum construction.
- Approval of Carver Homes, 1300 S. Rolfe Street, Arlington, with a 73-unit townhouse and stacked condominium development featuring a new public mini-park.
- Approval of Gables North Rolfe Street, 1307 N. Rolfe Street, Arlington, with a two residential building project (approximately 403,000 square feet) that will provide 395 housing units, a County transitional living facility with 14 housing units (approximately 16,500 square feet), and an approximately 8,000 square foot part.
- Approval of Pike 3400, 3400 Columbia Pike, Arlington, with a residential project for 245 units in a multi-family building, 12 stacked flats, 44 townhouses, and 15,443 square feet of retail.
- Approval of Penrose Square, 2405 and 2501 Columbia Pike, Arlington, with a 299-unit rental apartment building with approximately 36,000 square feet of ground floor retail, and a 61,500 square foot grocery store.
- Approval of 55 Hundred, 5444 Columbia Pike, Arlington, with a 10-story condominium with between 235 and 272 units and 7,544 to 8,427 square feet of ground floor retail.
- Approval of Siena Park, 2301 Columbia Pike, Arlington, with a 188-unit rental apartment building with approximately 34,341 square feet of ground-floor retail.
- Approval of The Halsted, 1028 S. Walter Reed Drive, Arlington, with a mixed-use 257-unit condominium building with approximately 42,350 square feet of ground floor retail.
- Approval of the Beauregard Small Area Plan, Alexandria, Rezoning and Coordinated Development District concept plan for approximately 12.8 million square feet of mixed use development (residential, office, hotel and retail).
- Approval of multiple zoning applications associated with Potomac Yard, Alexandria, a mixed use tract entitled for 1.9 million square feet of office, 2,320 residential units, 625 hotel rooms and 120,000 square feet of retail.
- Approval of the Potomac Yard Town Center, Alexandria, a mixed-use project within Potomac Yard containing one million square feet of office, 625 hotel rooms, 414 multi-family units, and 200,000 square feet of retail.
- Approval of The Clayborne, Alexandria, a mixed-use project containing 75 apartments and ground-floor retail on Washington Street.
- Approval of the Hotel Monaco, the Morrison House and the Lorien, Alexandria, three boutique hotels with ground-floor restaurants and retail in the Old and Historic District.
- Approval of McDonald’s restaurants rebuilds in the City of Alexandria, Arlington County, and Fairfax County.
- Approval of PNC banks in the City of Alexandria, Fairfax County, and Fairfax City.
- Award in Recognition of Outstanding Service as Chair of the Board of Directors, presented by the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce (2009)
Publications and Presentations
- Georgetown University, Foundations of Real Estate Law, Guest Lecturer (February 2013)
- Bisnow Real Estate Panel, The Future of Alexandria, Moderator (March 2012)
- Urban Land Institute Mobile Workshop, “Infill Development, Alexandria,” Presenter (October 2010)
- Urban Land Institute Columbia Pike Case Study, Presenter (June 2010)
- Virginia State CLE, “The Trickle Up Effect: Efforts and Impacts of Local Governments on the Implementation of ‘Green Development and Construction,’” Presenter (June 2008)
- “A Regal goodbye: Here’s how and where JBG plans to kick off North Potomac Yard overhaul,” WBJ, Web, May 17, 2016 (Link to Article)
- Alexandria Police Foundation, Board of Directors (2015–present)
- John Marshall Bank Advisory Board, Member (2013–present)
- Senior Services of Alexandria, Board of Directors (2011–present )
- Senior Services of Alexandria, Board of Directors (2011– )
- College of William & Mary, Reunion Gift Committee (2009, 2014)
- Scholarship Fund of Alexandria, Board of Trustees (2013 Chair)
- Burke & Herbert Advisory Board, Member (2007– 2010)
- Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors (2009 Chair), Executive Committee, Government Relations Committee
- Alexandria Economic Development Partnership, Board of Directors (2009)
- Healthy Families Alexandria, Board of Directors (2000–2005)
- Alexandria Youth Policy Commission, Commissioner (appointed by City Council, 1997–2005)
- Communities in Schools of Northern Virginia, Board of Directors (2000–2004)
- The City of Alexandria Walk to Fight Breast Cancer, Walk Development Committee
Practice AreasLand Use and Zoning
EducationNational Law Center at George Washington University, J.D., 1995
College of William & Mary, B.S., 1989
Professional MembershipAlexandria Bar Association
Arlington County Bar Association
Northern Virginia Building Industry Association
Northern Virginia Building Industry Association, Urban Chapter
Admitted to Practice in:Virginia
District of Columbia