One of the firm’s founding principals, Tom has specialized in the practice of real estate law in Northern Virginia since 1972. He is an expert in complex land use and real estate transactional matters and large-scale development issues relating to the acquisition, financing, development and sale of real property. He represents members of the development community in legal matters relating to the planning, establishment, and operation of common interest communities and in real estate tax assessment matters.
- Preparation of, and documentation for, complex mixed-use projects in Northern Virginia.
- Acquisition, sale and financing of residential, multi-family, commercial, and retail developments.
- Negotiation of development agreements among multiple parties.
- Preparation on behalf of national, regional, and local clients of condominium documentation and registrations, including residential projects, office projects, retail projects and medical office buildings.
- The formation of and participation in joint ventures.
- Documentation relating to restriction of development rights.
- Condominium warranty and other types of disputes with condominium associations and homeowner associations.
- Purchase of notes from lenders of distressed properties.
- Zoning and real property due diligence evaluation.
- Real estate tax appeals and tax consultation.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell (highest rating)
- Voted among the “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business Magazine
- Virginia “Super Lawyer,” Law & Politics Magazine
- Washington, D.C. “Super Lawyer,” Law & Politics Magazine
- One of Washingtonian Magazine’s “Top Lawyers”
- Virginia Hospital Center, Board of Directors and Chair, Long Range Planning Committee
- Virginia Commerce Bank, Regional Advisory Board
- Doorways for Women and Families, Co-Chair, Corporate Ambassador Program
Practice AreasCommercial Business Transactions
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 1972Fairfield University, B.A., 1969
American Bar Association
Virginia State Bar AssociationArlington County Bar Association