Bill has been with WCL&W since his graduation from law school in 1985. He primarily focuses on the transactional and development aspects of the firm’s practice in many jurisdictions throughout Virginia, and has extensive background in the preparation of subdivision and easement deeds, and homeowner and condominium association documents. Bill is experienced in drafting and negotiating contracts for both sellers and purchasers, in all aspects of loan closings on behalf of both lenders and borrowers, and in document preparation for development agreements (including mixed-use projects).
- Negotiated purchase of office building subsequently converted into a church (Fairfax County).
- Drafted development agreements involving commercial, retail and residential associations for a large mixed-use project (Loudoun County).
- Drafted Master HOA documents and condominium documents for a 250-unit residential project (Prince William County).
- Negotiated complex storm water agreements with local jurisdiction and off-site owner (City of Alexandria).
- Assisted in rezoning negotiations for conditions involving easements (Arlington County).
- Negotiated sale of terminated condominium development (City of Fredericksburg).
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated Lawyer in both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell (highest rating)
- Named to Virginia Business’ 2016 Legal Elite in Real Estate/Land Use
- Voted among the Legal Elite by Virginia Business magazine
Publications and Presentations
- Arlington County Bar Association CLE Seminar: “Ten Things Every Lawyer Should Know About Condominiums.”
- CLE Seminar: “Development Agreements, Easements and CC&Rs.”
- CLE Seminar: “Subdivision Law in Virginia.”
- Power Lunch Reading Mentor – Everybody Wins! DC (EW!DC). EW!DC is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting children’s literacy and a love of learning through shared reading experiences.
- Partnership for Affordable Housing, Chair, Board of Directors
- Walter T. McCarthy Law Library, Board of Directors (Former Chair)
- Arlington Soccer Association, Club Manager and Coach
Practice AreasCommercial Business Transactions
George Washington University School of Law, J.D., 1985University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1978
Virginia State Bar Association
Arlington County Bar AssociationNorthern Virginia Building Industry Association
Admitted to Practice in:
VirginiaU.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia