“[Art] is a dean of the land use Bar. Terrific and dynamic–an outstanding practitioner.”
–Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
Art founded WCL&W in 1983, after ten years of private practice in litigation and zoning law. Art specializes in land development, urban planning, and zoning law and has considerable experience in all phases of the land use and development process in Northern Virginia, from evaluation of development and zoning feasibility through zoning and permit approval, construction, and post-construction processes. Art has been instrumental in many significant mixed-use and transit-oriented zoning approvals, including achieving approvals for both the Arlington and Fairfax government centers and numerous approvals along the Arlington Metro Stations and the Dulles Access Road. Additionally, Art has represented numerous clients in Tysons replanning and condemnation cases in both the recently approved Silver Line and HOT Lanes construction on I-495.
Art served as zoning counsel representing clients in zoning approvals of the following matters:
- Land Use Approvals for large Mixed Use Transit Oriented Developments in Tysons and Reston.
- Approval of Boeing Corporate Headquarters in Arlington.
- Courthouse Plaza Metro Station, Arlington County, consisting of a mixed-use office space, residential units, retail/commercial use, and hotel units.
- Liberty Center, Arlington County at the Ballston Metro Station, consisting of commercial space and residential uses.
- Kettler Iceplex at Ballston Common Mall.
- Pentagon City, a mixed-use project, Arlington County at the Pentagon City Metro Station.
- Potomac Yard, Arlington County, consisting of approximately 3.7 million square feet of mixed-use development.
- Turnberry Towers in Rosslyn, luxury residential high-rise condominium units.
- Approvals of a new clubhouse for established Arlington country club.
- Approvals for expansion of university campus in Arlington.
- Halstead at the Merrifield Metro Station in Fairfax County, consisting of one million square feet of residential uses and retail and service uses.
- Fairfax County Government Center, consisting of 1.2 million square feet of mixed uses and the center for Fairfax County’s governmental uses.
- Approval of residential project in downtown Fairfax City, consisting of multi-family, townhouses, and single-family detached.
- Worldgate, located in Fairfax County on the Dulles Airport Access Road, consisting of residential/office/retail uses and condominium units.
- Land Swap in Fairfax County between the Federal Government and a client for land to be used as open space in exchange for development rights.
- Fairview Park, approval of a change in the Comprehensive Plan and a rezoning for 3.6 million square feet of office/residential/ hotel and retail.
- Approval of 974,365 gross square feet for secure, campus-style, East Coast Corporate Headquarters, research and development facility.
- Mixed-use development consisting of mixed-use of 2.7 million square feet at Dulles Station, Fairfax County, 35 acres.
- Received special exception approval on a timely basis in order to provide C-SPAN the ability to televise Senate deliberations in 1984.
- Named to the 2017 Washington DC and Virginia Super Lawyers® list (2006-17)
- Named to Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers in America, 2017, for Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law
- Named to Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers in America, 2005 – 2016 for Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law
- Recipient of the 2015 Alumni Medallion Award, The College of William & Mary
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated
- Recognized by Chambers & Partners, Chambers USA, Northern Virginia Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use
- Recognized by Washingtonian magazine as one of the “Top Lawyers in Washington, D.C”
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America® publication for ten consecutive years
- Voted among the “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business magazine
- Virginia “Super Lawyer,” Law & Politics magazine
- Honorary Order of Coif Faculty Award, William & Mary Law School
- Award by Legal Times magazine as Leading Lawyer in Real Estate in 2003
Publications and Presentations
- Conducts Continuing Legal Education programs on zoning, land use, and commercial real estate, and has delivered presentations at the College of William & Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law.
- Appointed to the Fairfax County Energy Task Force by Sharon Bulova, Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, in 2011
- Host of annual golf tournament for the benefit of JDRF since 1998, raising approximately one million dollars
- Member of numerous boards at the College of William & Mary and the College of William & Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Appointed to Washington Airport Task Force (2009–10)
- Served as Officer in the United States Army, 1967–69
- Served in Army Reserves, 1969–76
- Received Army Commendation Medal, April 1969
Practice AreasLand Use and Zoning
College of William & Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, J.D., 1973
President, Student Bar Association, 1972–73College of William & Mary, B.S., 1966
American Bar Association
Arlington County Bar AssociationWashington Airport Task Force