Garth, a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, represents local and regional businesses and focuses on a wide range of commercial transactions and litigation with an emphasis on guiding developers and contractors through complex real estate and financial matters as well as managing construction law contracts and business tort litigation in Virginia state and federal courts. Other areas of expertise include structuring mergers and acquisitions, commercial lease drafting and negotiations, and counseling business clients through employment, corporate, and partnership disputes. Garth has served as lead counsel in several complex construction and commercial cases throughout the region.
Prior to joining the firm in 1999, Garth was both an associate and partner at Hazel and Thomas PC for 17 years specializing in litigation and business counseling.
- Lead counsel in the prosecution of a $10 million roof collapse and architectural design defect case in state court resulting in a significant settlement for the owner.
- Defended lead defendant in a complex five-day business tort trial in federal court resulting in a complete defense jury verdict.
- Lead counsel for a number of businesses in several multimillion-dollar real estate and asset-based workouts with regional lenders resulting in savings of millions of dollars for firm clients.
- Successfully defended a non-profit board of directors in two separate trials from claims that the directors had breached their fiduciary duties.
- Lead counsel for a large regional contractor in bond disputes with Virginia over road and bridge projects.
- Named to Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers in America, 2016 -2017 for Commercial Litigation
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell (highest rating)
- Virginia Bar Fifth District Bar Disciplinary Panel – Current Member and Past Chair
- Prince William County Bar Association, Former Director
- Greater Manassas Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- BB&T Bank, Advisory Board Member
- Kiwanis Club of Bull Run, Former President
- Several years as a baseball and basketball coach for boys and girls in Prince William County
Practice AreasComplex Commercial Litigation
Business and Employment Law
Construction Disputes and Lease Litigation
EducationAmerican University School of Law, J.D.
University of Massachusetts, Trinity College, B.A.
Professional MembershipVirginia State Bar Association
Prince William County Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar Association
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Admitted to Practice in:Virginia
District of Columbia